Doctor of Medicine/Master of Public Health (MD/MPH)
Advocates. Educators. Researchers. Doctors.
The MD/MPH dual degree is offered by UT Health San Antonio and UTHealth Science Center at Houston School of Public Health in San Antonio. The MD/MPH is designed to prepare students to integrate medical and public health skills as practitioners and researchers. By combining MD training with an MPH education, students are better prepared to treat individuals and to address health issues in communities. The MD/MPH program is perfect for students interested in global health, community health, clinical research, infectious disease, health promotion, public policy or administration, environmental medicine and preventative medicine.
What is an MD/MPH?
A Master in Public Health (MPH) is a widely recognized professional degree that introduces MD students to the disciplines of public health and addresses issues of social determinants, population and global health.
- Our dual degree program offers a customized MPH program through in person and online coursework at the SPH and shared credit for public health related components of the LSOM curriculum.
- Both degrees can be completed in 4 years, saving time and money. A 5-year track is also available. Flexibility and customization in the program allows students to combine traditional MD preparation with the MPH practicum requirement.
Professional Development and Training
- Mentorship integrated into advising at both institutions, peer mentorship also provided.
- Socialization and professional development through key opportunities.
- Matching of students with faculty from MS1 – model resulting in papers, integration in programs.
- Opportunities with key partners including: IHPR, Mays Cancer Center, UHS, and Metro Health.
Calendar of Events
|Faculty Meet and Greet||September – TBD|
|Afternoon Tea||November 15,2018|
|Afternoon Tea||December 6,2018|
|Annual Dinner||March 2019 – TBD|
|Welcome Week Meet Up||May 2019 – TBD|
For information regarding the MPH experience as a medical student or to be connected with current MD/MPH students, contact the Long School of Medicine at email@example.com or (210) 450-8226.
For information regarding the MPH application/admission process, degree plan/curriculum and practicum requirements, contact the UTHealth School of Public Health in San Antonio at firstname.lastname@example.org or (210) 276-9000.