The Long School of Medicine (LSOM) accepts students to complete fourth year elective rotations in San Antonio. Generally, these rotations are four weeks in length and are considered advanced electives.
Applications for the upcoming academic year open on May 1st for students from LCME Accredited Schools. More details about application process are found below.
For academic year 2019-2020, the Long School of Medicine is not accepting students from Non-LCME Accredited and International Medical Schools.
Policies & Procedures
The Long School of Medicine’s academic calendar is comprised of 12 periods, each lasting four weeks. A list of these time periods can be found here.
Students intending to complete electives at the Long School of Medicine should apply through the appropriate channel, as indicated in the Application Process below.
Initial applications are approved through the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education prior to being forwarded to individual departments for processing. Once candidates are screened for appropriate credentials and pre-requisites, department staff select students to participate in their desired elective based on availability. Communication about acceptance and additional details will come from the department where the elective is being offered.
Department selections should be finalized four weeks prior to the start of an elective.
Students must complete proper immunizations prior to arrival at UT Health San Antonio. A copy of the Immunization Form is found here. The AAMC Standardized Form can be accepted in place of the UT Health form.
LCME accredited medical schools
Students attending schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) should apply through the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) program.
- Search for Electives through VSLO
- Use Institution Filter: UT Sch of Medicine San Antonio
non-LCME accredited schools OR international schools
Students attending schools not accredited by the LCME and students from international medical schools must complete a paper application. Students are advised to carefully review application instructions.
*For Academic Year 2019-2020, the Long School of Medicine is not accepting students from Non-LCME Accredited and International Medical Schools.
- Application instructions
- Visiting Student Elective Application (International/Non-LCME)
- *Note: All electives for non-LCME or international school students are full for 2018-2019 academic year.
- Visiting Student Immunization Form
- Office of International Services
- *Students from non-LCME accredited medical schools or international schools may only take up to two (2) electives, which are four (4) weeks in length. Applications for these electives are limited to five different specialty areas (if available in a given academic year).